Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 8, 2010

I am SUCH a bubblehead!!!!!.......... And YOU can be one too!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Alright folks, I am NOT calling myself names or anything, in the sense that it may seem, but there is truth to my statement!    

Truth is,  I like to make handcrafted soap... In my own home... From my own kitchen......And you can do it too!  If you so desire..  After many perusings in my two favorite bookstores back in 2004, I started to get interested in the craft, and then became aware of a class being taught close to where I live.    A co-worker and myself decided to take the plunge and thereafter..... Well.... Let's just say.........I contemplated looking for a twelve-step program that might have to do with not being able to stop making soap.........I am happy to say that I now have it under control......   ;-)

Anyhow, I have made much soap since then and have given gifts to family and friends and have sold some gift baskets as well.    I have a learned alot and thought I'd like to share what I know...

This will be a series so stay tuned and please ask any and all questions that you might have!  Here we go with an introduction:

The soapmaking process that I will be sharing is called "Cold-Process".   This mean that no outside elements of heat are added in the production.   There is a "Hot" Process", but I will not be talking about that here.
Real soap is made with lye, or Sodium Hydroxide.  If it is not made with it, it is not real soap.. Simple as that.  Cold Process is an exothermic reaction, which is a chemical reaction that releases energy in the form of heat.  Combining the fats/oils used in the recipe, with the lye, creates this chemical reaction and the finished product results in soap and glycerin.  Handcrafted soap that is made correctly is milder than most mass produced products on the market.  Much milder and gentler to the skin.  Some "soaps" are not real soap at all, just detergents. 

So, here's a list of what you need to get started in making your own soap.  You can start very simply and can build from there.

1) MOST IMPORTANT:  SAFETY FIRST:  Safety goggles or glasses, to wear AT ALL TIMES.  Lye is highly caustic and can cause SERIOUS damage if it gets in your eyes.  These items can be found at Dollar Stores, or Walmart, etc. in the paint dept.
2)  Stainless Steel pot (smallish or medium in size)  DO NOT USE ALUMINUM pots or utensils.  These will react with the lye and ruin your soap and pot.
3)  Digital scale to measure everything (regular kitchen scale WILL NOT BE PRECISE ENOUGH)
     These can be found at amazon.com, Staples, and other office supply stores.
4)  Apron to protect clothing.
5)  Rubber pitcher (small or medium) to mix the lye and water
6)  Rubber spatula to help scrape soap into mold
7)  Soap mold (Can start with a quart milk carton, do not have to buy a mold.
8)  Oils/Fats to make soap:  Start with:  Pure olive oil (not Extra Virgin), Crisco, Coconut oil (Can get smaller jars at health stores.
9)  100% Sodium Hydroxide or Lye.  Can be ordered online or Ace Hardware (if you have one in your area) Sells something in the drain cleaner isle called "Rooto"  Check the ingredients to confirm that is 100% pure lye.

Okay, folks, there's the first installment, stayed tuned for the next one!

1 comment:

M Farzzezin zenin bden said...

ok, once i got all the ingredient. where to start?..teacher..